Saturday, November 13, 2010

The Mommy Soups

Mom's visit threatens to reduce my already sparse posting. It occurred to me that I could write posts about the many soups I make for her. She starts off wanting butternut squash soup, which she says is her favorite. Last year she changed her favorite with pretty much every new soup. I had butternut squash soup ready when she arrived.
My soup techniques are as random as as all my cooking. No recipes. For the butternut squash I roasted the squash, sauteed carrots, celery and onion, added the squash and some chicken stock, blended everything and ran it through my food mill ( just because it's new and I'm enamored). As always there are things I could do. I could season with cumin, or smoked paprika. I could top with creme fraiche. Chili flakes are a good add but Mom isn't into spices. She really just likes the plain soup.
I serve this with a salad of apples, celery and fennel, dressed with sherry vinegar, salt and pepper. I got this from a chef I worked with years ago. He topped the salad with a goat cheese souffle. Divine.
Soup season is here. Maybe I can blog it.

No comments:

Post a Comment