Sunday, November 14, 2010

Mommy Soup Two

French Onion. Really simple. Really Easy.
I sauteed Vidalia Onion in olive oil on high heat at first but then medium heat until they got brown and sweet. I love the way onions start to smell like meat. When they had reduced by more than half I added some Balsamic vinegar and beef stock. White wine is more traditional but I love the sweetness of the onions and the Balsamic just amps it up. I was wishing, as I always am, for some fresh herbs like Bay leaf and Thyme. My herb garden in a pot failed a few times.
I toasted some Pugliese and topped it with Gruyere. I cut the toasts into cubes to make it easier for Mom to handle. She seems to have liked it.
I really wish I had taken a picture but the drive to feed the mommy throws me off my game. I'm sure I'll be making it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment