Thursday, May 6, 2010

A Pound of Flesh

I jumped to a site today because a friend "liked" it on Facebook. It was full of "positive" thought all of which seemed fine to me until I came to the advice: Go meatless one day a week and don't enter the doors of a restaurant that sells a 16 ounce steak. That is obscene.
Hmmm. Well. Going meatless one day a week is no big deal. Some times I go more than that not because I'm avoiding meat but because I'm getting protein in other ways. But a sixteen ounce steak, obscene?
My mixed influences hold sway. I know dieters who would power through a 16 ounce steak and push away the potatoes and veggies. I don't think that's a particularly healthy thing to do but it's their choice. I've read about swimmers who eat what seems like a crazy number of calories because they need them and dancers who need them to get through a performance. A 16 ounce steak is just fuel for them. Six ounces is good for me and I'm gonna want the potatoes and veggies.
I saw a piece on the Huffington Post shaming Paula Dean and the Food Network in which meat is mentioned as a bad thing. The whole rant is loopy. I don't care if people eat meat or how much they eat. I just cringe when people stir up fear of food.
Mom is dieting after being told her knee might not bother her as much of she lost weight. She was talking about a friend of hers who doesn't like sweets. Mom wishes she didn't like them. Mom does have a big thing for sweets. She actually worries me some times. She visits during the holidays when there are lots of cookies and candies around and she eats them by the handfuls. She eats until her stomach hurts. I think it's because of all the dieting. She goes through the cycle of denial and consumption again and again. But her longing to be like the woman who doesn't like sweets made me sad. She's so cute when she gets a treat. She takes such delight in them.
I think a common sense approach is good in a general sense but sometimes excess is the most alive thing. Obscene is word used to describe immorality. And there may be a time when food and eating can be described in moral terms. But most of what I read is just so round the bend.

No comments:

Post a Comment